Monday, October 30, 2006

All 'Dry'ed Up?


Well, it seems that finally, my last blog has cleared some of the congestion causing crap in my head and I've finally managed to open my own book and start writing again!

Hurrah for small mercies I hear you say. I think not, its yet to be published (if it ever will be) and then has to be worthy of a read.

I've posted a picture of my all time favourite novel today, to signify that I'm back on the wagon (not that I was ever off it, I'm not an alcoholic or anything). I just want to be able to say that, like Augusten, I've had to do so much cathartic cleansing to enable me to get back to this stage! By the way, 'Dry' is the second part of a trilogy of memoirs by Augusten Burroughs. The first, 'Running with Scissors', has been made into a movie with an all star Hollywood cast. The third is called 'Magical Thinking'. I would thoroughly recommend them to anyone to read, but please do read them in the order they were written, they make much more sense that way!

Still, I've had to tell myself off already. A friend of mine, a very well respected film critic here in London did advise me that the worst thing I could possibly do is edit my own work, something I have to admit, I'm incredibly guilty of!

And what's the worst thing I could do the second I start? Yes, that's right, I started editing the damn thing! So. One good self flagellation later, and I manage to knock out two thousand words in one go! Not bad for someone who's a bit rusty! You see, the self-deprecating depression stuff can be so all consuming that it leaves nothing for no one or nothing else!

Back in the saddle! Looks like winter may not be as gloomy as I once thought!

No comments: